Board games and why searching for a gaming group sucks so bad most of the time

Board game has been quite a hobby for me past few months, probably due to game nights I attended. It was getting pretty stale, and the games the other people brought are just fucking bad (more on this later).

Why Board Games?

I am by no means a board game master (I only have four of them), but I do enjoy them because of the fun, slightly competitive environment and social factor. I've gone to three different places for board game nights. I've met up with an old friend over board games and started talking with her again. I've played in my own share house, and played with two groups that originated from badminton group.

It is probably the only type of gaming with the most social interaction, the main reason why I like board games. Sports is another one, but you have zero chance to get injured badly. Less of dexterity/strength and more of mind/strategy action. Also, the pieces are real, the game plays right in front of you.

This would sound like a snobby thing to say, but you really can gauge how smart someone is by playing the games. I've found numerous times that some people take FOREVER to understand the rules or make the move. The smarter ones would think ahead and would actually start thinking once their turn finishes. Also you can see if one of your friends has shitty socializing habits (more on this later)

Finally, it's just fun and priceless seeing your strategy come to play and your friends' reaction.

So.. Why not then?

It's a downer to only be able to play these games once a week, which is also a reason why I've been trying to catch up with my older friends, to play more. However, this is the least of my worries.

Shitty gaming manners

Some people just does not have the proper gaming manners. The manners you need should really be the equivalent for when you do social gatherings, which is why you could actually see someone's shitty social behaviors.

Being on your phone for the WHOLE of the game is seriously one of the shittiest things you can do. I have played with several guys, and when I call them out, they just keep doing it. It's drives me fucking nuts. To make it worse they're like "oh what did you guys do?" or "shit, I forgot to buy XX" when it's literally his turn next. Do you fucking use your phone the whole time when you are socializing? Because you shouldn't.

"Nah it LOOKS COMPLEX"

Dear God, if you say my games are complex (which are fucking not) without playing him, it really makes me want to punch you in the face. Anyone that has played my games knows that they are simple as fuck. A bit of components to be explained, but that shit is probably the same thing as remembering all the different combinations and which one is better over the other in Poker. 

Lords of Waterdeep is balanced as fuck, and it's a well known gateway, entry-level worker placement board game. Lots of people online even complained that it's too simple! It REALLY annoys me.

Another problem when I bring my own board games is when the overwhelming community wants to play an objectively shittier game instead,

Bonus shitty game bitching section! Games that my friends like:


Monopoly - Please just fucking kill me if you ever see me play this game and enjoying it. This game is designed to make you feel like shit, that's enough reason to not play it. Your whole game depends on a dice rolling mechanism. Got the best bargaining skills? Too bad your fucking dice roll suck. Also, a player elimination game in 3+ hour long games is retarded. My friends actually seemed more keen to play monopoly than my games (Lords of Waterdeep + expansion, Sushi GO Party and King of Tokyo). There is a limit to where a game is subjectively good. Fuck me really.

Big 2 - This game isn't bad, but you can't fucking play this ALL NIGHT DURING A  GAME NIGHT. IT'S A FUCKING FILLER GAME (shit you do during school breaks) IDIOTS! I don't mind playing this while we are waiting for another badminton round at the court, but not for a good (I kid you not) 3-4 hours till midnight!

Poker - This suffers the same disease as the Big 2 above, they play this shit until fuckin midnight (3-4 good hours of it). I unfortunately took part in one session and have regretted it ever since (and possibly want my 3-4 hours of my life back). I was like the last 3 people out of like 6, because I play it like I own the money (bit by bit). I decided to just fucking go all in and go home instead because it was 3 AM and I really could not give a fuck anymore. I was just in too deep that I fucking decided to just stay and think maybe the game would end soon.

I think Poker is pretty okay, just not something you should play over 3-4 hours. It's a pretty simple game that has pretty little input from you and limited strategy. It gets boring after the first 30-60 minutes.

They put money on these games Big 2 and Poker and it's some fucking ridiculously minuscule amount like $ 1.60. Plus if you need money to make a game be more enjoyable, that fucking game is trash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Board Game Review: King of Tokyo and Shadow Hunters

Board Game Review: Lords of Waterdeep (+expansion)